How to create new CHM file
Help files, or CHM-files, were designed to facilitate the user’s work with a particular software, to provide him with the necessary information about program functionality, give descriptive instructions.
Help file is a great assistant for everyone, but sometimes it can cause problems. What to do if you’re the one who should create CHM-file? Who will help you in this situation?
Well, don’t worry! Sit down in front of a computer screen comfortably with a cup of coffee and let us introduce your new assistant – CHM Editor tool. This is a real expert in the help files, so just trust him.
So, you face the challenge to create a new Help file from scratch.
Suspense scares, and therefore we suggest you to read the steps below before you begin the work.
You will be surprised how easy it is!
1. Download the CHM Editor demo and install it on your computer.
It is totally free and necessary step to take advantage of this tool.
2. Start CHM Editor.
It will greet you and offer to select the further action.
3. Click “File” and select “New” menu (or use Ctrl+N hotkey).
The program gives you several templates from which you may choose the color scheme of your CHM file. The following templates are available:
1) Simple Blue
2) Simple Green
3) Simple Orange
You will also need to indicate the necessary parameters of new CHM file, such as:
1) Project Name
2) File Name and its preferred location on your PC (By default file are saved in the “Program Files (x86) \ GridinSoft \ CHMEditor”. It needs administrative rights, which is why you may receive an error message. To avoid this, just select the desired folder or right-click on the CHM Editor icon and choose the option “Run as administrator”)
4) Your Company Name
5) Your Home Page (Web-site)
Once you click “OK” button you may start creating your new CHM file! It was easy, wasn’t it?
You can solve several tasks at once by using CHM Editor:
By the way, afterward, you may need to do more difficult things like editing your help files or translating them.
CHM Editor can be used for editing and translating CHM files too. You can export your help files in PDF format easily and quickly. Besides, this is the perfect tool for localization your CHM Help files.
1. This is a powerful tool for editing CHM, you can change and save chm file without downloading any additional tools or editors.
2. It allows you translate any chm-file using one of available translation services.
The most amazing thing is that translation will be complied with saving of all html-tags and document’s structure – did you ever dream about such powerful feature?
CHM Editor‘s features are the best choice both for average PC users when they need to read chm-help in foreign language and for professional translators who could get possibility to translate chm-files as the usual document without any knowledge about HTML!
Learn more about CHM Editor >>